It was in Spitafields, formerly "Spittel Fyeld", that from 1572, following the St Bartholomew's Day massacre, the French (Huguenots), came to this area, welcomed by Queen Elizabeth I to live. They were specialised in the design of luxury products such as weaving, silk, clocks and watches, and silverware. In 1666, after the Great Fire of London, a multitude of Londoners migrated to the same area to find new homes. Over the next few decades, speculation took hold and in 1720, a large number of dwellings were built.
In 1666 the first Truman's on Brick Lane appeared. Joseph Truman acquired the lease of this message, brewery, granary and stable and the business began to expand. Benjamin Truman, Joseph's son, joined the family business in 1722, and by 1748 the Black Eagle Brewery was the third largest brewery in London, producing 40,000 barrels a year.
The French Huguenots brought their knowledge of fermented hops and new production techniques. From this was born a dark, hoppy, brown malt beer called "Porter" in reference to the market porters.
Porter was the first beer that could be mass-produced, which gave the brewery a competitive advantage in the market.
Benjamin Truman continued to oversee the brewery until his death in 1780 and led Truman to become the drink of the royal family. In 1789 the brewery was taken over by Sampson Hanbury, and became Truman Hanbury, Buxton & Co.
By 1853, the brewery had become the largest in the world, producing 400,000 barrels of beer a year. The chimney and boiler house were added in 1929-1930.
Barrels were delivered to East End pubs on Truman's brewery carts, pulled by teams of two workers. Horses were brought in from the Brick Lane stables and loaded onto Dray Walk. Motor vans would later take over.
From 1839 onwards the first railway line was laid to deliver lager to the rest of the country. Beer was mainly exported to the Netherlands, Denmark and Sweden, followed by the East India Company and the British Army. Beers made in specific ways, some of which were later deemed suitable for the domestic market, such as Export Imperial Stout, a beer originally brewed for the Russian court in St Petersburg.
The situation would change for Truman in the 20th century, faced with the rise of lager, cheaper competition from imports and the consolidation of the biggest names in British brewing through mergers. Attempts to cope with these changes through management restructuring and rebranding were unsuccessful. In 1989 the brewery was closed.
The origin of the logo comes from the Black Eagle Brewery, which stood at 13 Princelet Street in the early 18th century, and later became Truman.
The Truman brand was relaunched in 2010 and, since 2013, the beer is brewed again in East London under the name Truman.